Direct Support Assistant
Company: State of New York
Posted on: June 7, 2021
Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Open Competitive - You must be on the current eligible list and
be reachable for appointment.
Transfer Opportunity - You must be a New York State employee
with one year of permanent service currently serving in this title
and eligible for transfer;
You must be a New York State employee eligible for transfer via
Section 70.1 of Civil Service Law. To qualify for Section 70.1
transfer, you must have one year of permanent status in a title
approved for transfer by the Department of Civil Service.
Direct Support Assistant Trainee is a continuous recruitment
examination. The minimum qualifications are High School Diploma,
GED or a Direct Support Professional Certification from an
accredited public or private organization and a valid Driver's
License. If you are not on the current eligible list please mail a
NYS-APP#4, 20-149 & 20-150 (http://www.cs.ny.gov/extdocs/pdf/20-149&20-150.pdf)
to register for an upcoming examination. You can view the complete
examination announcement here :
Duties Description PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Office for People With Developmental Disabilities priority is
the health and safety of the statewide 128,000 individuals with
developmental disabilities receiving agency's support. As a Direct
Support Assistant Trainee or Direct Support Assistant, you would
help individuals with developmental disabilities lead richer lives.
Under supervision these positions will;
- Provide supports and services which involve advocating
- Encourage, guide and teach individuals in expressing personal
- Ensure community integration.
- Assist individuals with personal hygiene care, toileting,
dining, dressing, meal preparation, lifts and transfers.
- Help individuals to participate in games and recreational
- Coach and encourage individuals to develop daily living
- Provide a clean safe and comfortable environment.
- Work with other staff to carry out and record care plans.
- Administer medication in accordance with special
To learn more about what direct professionals do on the job
every day, go to; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnK4z3KAqtE
Additional Comments Please note:
- This position may also be filled at the Direct Support
Assistant Trainee (DSAT) level. Candidates hired at the entry-level
title (DSAT) may be advanced to the full-performance level (DSA)
following satisfactory completion of a 6-15 month traineeship,
depending on your qualifications and your ability to demonstrate
competency in certain critical areas of consumer care. To be
eligible for appointment to DSAT, candidates must possess a High
School Diploma, GED or a Direct Support Professional Certification
from an accredited public or private organization, have a valid
Driver's License AND have a score that is reachable for appointment
on the DSAT eligible list. The hiring rate for DSAT in this
location is $32,972.
- For CSEA positions: Local Bidding Agreements will be
- Preference will be given to OPWDD employees impacted by
closures. If you are being impacted by closure, please indicate
this on your resume/cover letter.
- All OPWDD employees must be eligible and maintain eligibility
for full and unconditional participation in the Medicare and
Medicaid programs. Continued employment will depend on maintaining
- If you are employed by state government you may be able to
receive loan forgiveness under the Public Service Loan Forgiveness
Program (PSLF). The PSLF Program forgives the remaining balance on
Direct Loans after 120 qualifying monthly payments have been made
under a qualifying repayment plan while working full-time for a
qualifying employer. For more information on PSLF, please visit
- Employees on long term leave can bid on positions but must be
able to report to work within fourteen (14) days and be able to
perform the essential functions of their positions with or without
reasonable accommodation (RA). If an employee believes that he or
she needs a reasonable accommodation, they should contact the NYS
OPWDD Workforce and Talent Management Central Office at (518)
473-9689 or Email at email@example.com to obtain
information and RA forms.
- OPWDD IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
- Please note that the filling of this position is pending fiscal
approval and authorization.
Keywords: State of New York, Binghamton , Direct Support Assistant, Other , Binghamton, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!