Engineer, Protection and Control
Posted on: June 22, 2022
Avangrid is seeking anEngineer, Protection and Control to join
their team in their Binghamton, NYlocation.
Responsible for the design, configuration, maintenance and renewal
of automation, data collection, protection control equipment
subsystems on AVANGRIDs electric delivery infrastructure in New
England (Central Maine Power and United Illuminating) and New York
(NYSEG and RGE).
AVANGRIDs electric delivery system is approximately 8,600 miles of
transmission lines and 1,000 substations. Engineering activities
for electric transmission and substation system protection projects
to ensure safe, timely and cost-effective completion. Conduct
analyses, develop estimates and apply engineering standards and
criteria to drive the completion of projects. Coordinate with other
departments, vendors, and consultants in order to complete projects
in a timely and cost-effective manner. Ensure all protection system
designs meet applicable company, local, state, and national codes
and standards (NESC, FERC, NERC, NPCC, NYISO, ISO-NE, NY PSC, ME
PUC, CT PUC, etc.).
- Perform engineering design, estimating, and analysis of the
electric transmission and substation protection systems in support
of the capital construction programs. Perform engineering
calculations and analysis. Review and approve detailed protection
system designs, including settings, developed both internally and
by engineering consultants.
- Review and approve work of engineering contractors who provide
automation engineering and design services to ensure compliance
with company standards, specifications, and contract requirements.
Develop technical specifications, standards, contracts and purchase
orders. Direct engineering contractors and consultants performing
system automation integration roles.
- Analyze distribution fault event operations to ensure
protection scheme operated as intended. Develop and provide clear
and concise fault analysis reports to management depicting
corrective actions and lessons learned when necessary.
- Management of compliance programs applicable to substation
assets. Act as subject matter expert during audits.
- Travel to worksites on an as needed basis.Skills and
- Theoretical Engineering knowledge: Planning, Operations and
Engineering Design, Analytics, Modeling Calculation (e.g., sym.
Components, per unit, etc.), Understanding the Business Model
- Practical Engineering Experience/Application: Planning,
Operations and Engineering Design, Construction, (e.g., field
experience, standardization, develop business case and defend in
front of stakeholders)
- Engineering documentation: Ability to adequately document and
interpret engineering documentation, review, and approve
engineering work done by others
- Knowledge of Regulatory and Compliance Environment: Local,
State and Federal Regulatory Standards and Requirements (NERC,
NPCC, ISO, PUC, etc.)Functional/job/business specific
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, interpersonal, and
- Strong Electrical Design Experience.
- Able to perform protection coordination analysis.
- Proficiency and fluency in power system protection theory,
application, standards, design, test, commissioning, and
analysis.Education Experience Required:
- 4 years of experience in Engineering or 1 year min of
experience in Protection Control and 1 year min of engineering
- Bachelors degree in Electrical Engineering / Technology.
- MS in Engineering preferred.
- Successful Completion of Fundamentals of Engineering Exam
- Advanced knowledge of power system analysis and fundamentals of
- Knowledge of national and international standards, regulations,
and compliance requirements associated with power system
- Experience with power system protection applications such as
ASPEN OneLiner, ASPEN Line Database.
- Knowledge of IEC-61850 standards.
- Knowledge of FERC/NERC/NPCC and state regulations.This job has
been posted by TalentBoost on behalf of Avangrid. TalentBoost is
committed to the fundamental principle of equal opportunity and
equal treatment for every prospective and current employee. It is
the policy of TalentBoost not to discriminate based on race, color,
national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, religion, creed,
disability, sex and gender, sexual orientation, gender identity
and/or expression, military or veteran status, or any other
characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local
Keywords: Avangrid, Binghamton , Engineer, Protection and Control, Engineering , Binghamton, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!